Friday, October 16, 2009

Rap Artist Jay-Z

I was recently introduced to a few songs by Shawn Corey Carter, AKA Jay-Z. I was impressed after hearing his song The Hard Knock Life. If you are not familiar with the song, Jay-Z raps over a song from an old movie called Annie. After listening to The Hard Knock Life, I searched Youtube for a few other songs by the rap artist. Sure enough I found a few other songs which borrow from other popular bands.

The band 3 Doors Down has their song Hear Without You featured in a Jay-Z remix. Linkin Park and Jay-Z can been seen together in a song called Numb Encore (see video below).



I think the integration is great. Obviously this is not the first time an artist has done this. It is, however, good to hear music of different genres mixing together. Genres, to me, are merely restrictions that keep music stagnant. I hope that we will continue to see more and more of this in the future. It is nice to hear artists such as Jay-Z, Carlos Santana, Slash, and so on collaborate with other artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment